Friday, January 28, 2011

Miss. Clare F Harris

On August 28, I met Clare F Harris for the first time and on January 16, I had to say goodbye..

Being an Australian exchange student, her journey began and ended in January. So in April when I knew that Ipatinga would be by new home, she was already there, living the dream. Clare told me the Do's and Don´t's, things I absolutly had to do, and places that i needed to explore. Even before I met her, she seemed like an older sister, a mother even, although I am almost 2years older than she.

At my first Brazilian party, she nearly jumped on me, exclaiming how happy she was to have me here, and for the first time, I heard her "Aussie-English." Over time, I learned a whole vocabulary: the bush, (the Outback) keen, (eager) I cant be "bothered" (no desire) heaps (a lot) and Vegamite (a spread that i still havent decided if I like it or not)

When i barely understood the language of português, or when my head hurt from hearing it all day, she always would be the first to speak for me, teaching me more português than anyone else. I would go to her for all the riduclously stupid questions, to embarrassed to ask anyone else. ("I know there are a lot of different ways to ask, "What's your name?" but I can't understand any of them.") She gave me confidence, saying that i was learning quickly and in a few months time, i would understand it all, just like her.

While our Brazilian friends were studying for the Vestibular, we spent our afternoons at the mall, at various BBQs, becoming even more obsessed with Harry Potter, and sometimes making typical dishes from our country that usually ended up a disater. Clare saw my face after my first Brazilian bikini wax, taught me how to take the bus, and almost constantly argued on boys. We talked consistently about this strange country called Brasil, always asking the question: "Do you do this back home?" The answer was always No. Somethings only happen here..

I've met her family through skype, she shyly said Hi to mine. I feeel as though I know her bestfriend in "Aussieland" although i have only seen pictures and heard countless stories. Clare is trying to figure out my life back in the States, remembering all my stories and embarrassing details.

We are planning to visit the paradise island of Bali together someday. We are already saving money for our return in 2014 when Brasil once again takes championship at the World Cup. Somehow she is making her way over to Pennsylvania and i know that her home in Melbourne is always welcome for me.

And on the day I had to leave her side at the airport, through the tears and panicking cries, we promised that no matter what, no matter where life takes us, no matter how cliche it sounds, we will always be best friends.

We were an odd match, an American girl and an Austrailian mate, but through it all, we became "melhor amigas para sempre."