Tuesday, May 10, 2011

amor

you need to find the little joys in life.
i've come to learn this
whether it's a delicious meal shared with your mom, a seven minute nap before you catch the "van" for school in the morning, or deciding to buy that popiscle because you deserve it.
simple as that. it's what keeeps me going with a smile on my face.
the little joys in my life here in brasil:

i love catching the city bus ..taking me wherever.
i love wacthing american tv ..but not really watching it, more reading the portuguese subtitles on the screeen.
i love that i love rice and beans.
i love that instead of shaking hands, you give hugs and kisses when greeting perfect strangers.
i love how my "exchange student belly" (as i like to call my 5kilos that i have gained) shows off when i wear my school uniform.
i love the music here ..even if its probably 6months behind "popular" US music
i love my brasilerian friends that have stuck around since the beginning and bared my portuguese from the start ..and still stick around just to laugh at the american.
i love sundays at my country clube.
i love being able to know a team scores a goal during a futebol game: fireworks and shouts all over the neighborhood
i love playing tennis on monday afternoons
i love every single exchange student in my district ..every single one of them.
i love how out-of-control my school is.
i love that sometimes, people don't know i'm foreign from my portuguese accent ..they just believe i'm from a different state. best compliment in the world
i love when my parents introduce me to their friends or family as their daughter.
i love that brasilians wait/need/count down for their long weekends/vacations.
i love skyping my family each week; i look forward to that day each weeek.
i love that winter in brasil is high 80's.
i love when i feel like my português is out of this world ..that its amazing ..although i know i'm using the wrong tense of the verb and i dont know a noun of something..but i'm speaking it.
i love my dance class of forro and sumba.
i love how as time goes on, i forget things back home.
i love that it is perfectly okay to say youre sleepy during the day ..everyday. because really, everyone here gets a little sleepy from the heat.
i love that somehow, everyone in my city knows who i am ..and have met me even if i dont remember.
i love that between the two futebol teams in my state ..there is a passionate hatred that divides friends and families on sunday afternoon during the game.
i love being able to tell my other exchange student all the crazy secrets &stories and to find their reaction as laughter and agreement.
i love reading my history book ..i find that i am eating history as to learning it
i love how there is always something to do here, party, show, bar, resturant, always.

i love that somedays ..my heart just bursts with my love for this place and i try to think of leaving it behind, going back ..and i cant.
i cant leave this place, not now
and definatly not in 2months..