Monday, December 6, 2010

ônibus

because i can't drive here (a tragedy that i miss terribly) i have to rely more on the busing system here. which as you are about to find out, is an adventure in itself.

i remember the very first time i took the bus with the brother (it was my third day in Brasil) and i literally thought i was going to throw up everywhere. from the typical driving style of brasilerios and from the constant stopping and going, i had to switch seats with him so that i could put my head out the window, just in case..

after some time in Brasil, I wanted to learn how to take the bus, alone. I have friends in the other cities, Timoteo & Coronel Fabriciano, so i wanted to take the bus whenever i wanted to so i could visit. my wonderful mother Flavia helped me, looking on the internet for the timing schedule and waiting with me at the stop. she would write down what i should say to the man who collects the money so that he would help me get off at the right stop. I was suppose to say this to the man, read it maybe, but instead, being shy at my new-found love of português, i would just hand the man the paper, with a sheepish look on my face and say, sorry but i dont really speak português.

after getting used to the system, i started taking the bus more and more.
once, when i was going to Timoteo, i was sitting at the busstop, waiting and waiting (i forgot to tell you but brasilerios are ALWAYS late, everyone is always late) i had been sitting there for atleast 15min. i turned my head for literally 2seconds and i see a bus flash by, on the front reading, "Ipatinga - Timoteo" Thats my bus! I start running, flagging my arms up and down, looking like a moron, thinking, "please please please stop for me because the next one doesnt come for the next 2hours." ofcourse it stops for me and i stumble onto the bus, out of breathe, and just say over and over, "obrigada, obrigada!" (thankyou thankyou.)

another time, i was in Fabriciano late at night and realized i should probably start going home. i needed to take two buses, one from clare's house to the Center then from the Center to Ipatinga. I was fine when i was on the bus but i didnt exactly know where i was suppose to get off at so i was slightly nervous. i saw this one girl get off, so guess what, i got off too hah. not knowing where the next bus stop is, i start panicking. i am sweating and have no idea where to go. i call clare, she isnt answering. i try my brother but he is in class. its dark out, late at night, and i am not in a good part of town. i'm slightly scared (i guess this isnt something you should be telling your mom, huh?)
i need to ask someone for help. if i ask a man ..well that just isnt a good idea. i see this women walking, obviously working out. i say in my best português possible, "can you please help me, im lost." she ofcourse helps me and leds me to the busstop, talking and congraduating me on my fine português. i wanted to ask her for a picture and maybe her address because i know grandma judy and aunt lou would like to see this women and maybe send her a thankyou card for helping out their favorite granddaughter.

i know that taking the bus is part of this crazy experience and i just roll along with it and always laugh at what always happenes to me..