Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dondora

this post is dedicated to Dondora my maid.

now before your jaw drops and youre like, "holy cow ariana, you have a maid?!?"
you should first let your jaw drop and be like, "holy cow ariana, you have a maid!!" because yes, it is a amazing and yes, i am completely lovin' it. :D


it is completely normal in south america for families to have a maid so here it isnt really jaw-dropping material. but for me, it is and i am still not accustomed to it. we treat her as family, since she has been here for about 15 years. Unfortunatley, she doesnt speak english so the language barrier is defiantly there. luckily for her, i am learning portuguese and the art of hand &body language. Dondora is around "grandmother age" and is of Indian descent.

Everyday, i come home from school, always flustered with the portuguese and i walk into my room and my mood completely changes. It is spotless. I mean, you wouldnt find a pen out of place in my room. and i have to admitt, i dont leave it in this spotless condition (i know what youre thinking mommma, "ariana, i told you to clean up after yourself" but when you have half an hour in the morning at 6am, and your eyes are barely open, you are not concerned with making the bed)

one day, i dropped my ring after i hit the sneeze on my alarm clock and it fell off the table. i couldnt find it but i was like whatever, its just some cheap-o ring. i come home, its sitting on my desk. Dondora could find it.

Dondora prepares our meals, mostly lunch (almoço) they make my stomach rumble at school just thinking about them. Walking into the kitchen, i can always expect my nose to be in heaven and also to see rice, beans, salada and fresh juice. Dondora makes fresh juice by hand EVERYDAY and it is indescribable. but the rest of our almoço is always different, and i am never disappointed.

the one day, i came home and didnt see rice &beans on the table and almost panicked. "we are not having rice today? ohmygosh" then i saw it was still on the stove, being warmed. i knew then, that i was becoming brasilian.

her talants are also in laundry. i put my dirty clothes in the bin and somewhere along the line, magic happens, and they return on my bed some time later, as if they were just bought. one day, i saw her ironing my white tank top with extra care as if it were silk! (if you dont know, white tank tops are essential and are worn under everything, not needing to be ironed) i am gonna find her ironing my socks one day, she is that dedicated.

if i havent already clearly stated this, Dondora is amazing