Wednesday, October 20, 2010

férias II

and we are up to Segunda(monday):
it was raining. i was borderline depressed during the morning. i mean commonn, we're at one of the most beautiful beaches in Brasil, and mother-nature decides to literally "rain on my parade"?

but the Girls (me, my mother, grandmother, and Aunt Bia, Daniel's Mom) went to "Rua de Biquíni"
We are hunting for a bikkini for ariana.

By this point, i know what a typical brasileria bikkini looks like: top is basically the same but the bottoms are a litttle more, how should i say.. more revealing. we walk through the streeet, past countless stores, and i havent gained enough courage to actually try one on. After about twenty minutes, i am like "ariana, just try one on and see what it looks like. you wouldnt know until you put it on."
i pick one up, not really that cute, but i have to start somewhere.
i look like a beached whale.
my buttt is hanging out, i look fat, i cant even get the top on.
i am not coming out of this dresssing room.
i am going to find myself a big-girl one-piece and just keep my clothes on while at the beach
really frustrated at this point.

during the rest of the day, somehow i start warming up to the idea of my buttt hanging out..not completely. calm down everyone. but usually, the biquíni has just a little bit. ..just a litttle bit showing offf. i'm only in brasil once.
i end up finding a really cute floral suit with just the right amount of me being "exposed" i will not be wearing this in Estados Unidos.. hahah

that Monday night, we went to a restuarant that was literally on the beach. we all had delicious seafood, ahh sooo delicious.
we got to talking about politics (a subject i know little about) Brasil just had an election (discuss more on a seperate post) so there is much debate. My Uncle got to talking about the USA and asking my opinion on the War in Iraq (i tried my hardest to represet America well) he said something very interesting that got me thinking.
He said that whoever we elect next, whether it be Obama again or some other leader, it will effect the entire world.
whoever YOU choose as the president will effect these people as well.
The United States has that much power at this current moment, that our leaders have a lot of say in International affairs.
Just something for all of you to ponder...

Terça(Tuesday):
I woke up, went to the kitchen and heard, "Ariana, its sunny outside!"
THANKYOU BRASIL!
I put my biquíni on and we are off to the beach.
the beach has hundreds, i might even be bold and say thousands of people. its not a very wide beach either so whoever your nieghbor is, you will get to know them very welll.
beaches sell everything here. icecream, wooden spoons, bikinnis, bracelets, pizza, coconut juice, sunglasses, bbq meat. and more. crazynesss. and the merchants, they get really annoying, reallly fast cause they get in your face and just want your money.

the water is freezing. Look at the name of the beach: Cabo Frio.
literal translation: Cape Cold.
Cabo Frio has THE coldest water in Brasil because it gets the southern water from the poles. Its not uncommon to see peguins surfing in the water. I saw three while i was there!! The one was really close to shore, basically at kneee height, and if he reaches shore, he will die. :(

the good/bad thing about Cabo Frio is that it was alotalot wind.
Good: it cools you off
Bad: you dont notice when you start to fry.
I went home the first day and looked at my chest. I hadnt rubbed in my sunscreeen good enough therefore i had fingerprint marks on my chest. Thankyou Brasilerian Sun

enough for now, more later :)