Friday, August 27, 2010

being the new kid

of course, part of being an exchange STUDENT, you have to go to school.
i kinda of down played this whole daily involvment.
like "oh yeah, i do have to go to school where its taught in portuguese, no biggie though"
but when i had to go, it was no biggie.

after being in brasil for just two short days, i had to go to my new school, Colégio São Francisco Xavier. The night before, all i could do was toss-and-turn in bed:
"what if they dont like me?"
"what if there's this huge language barrier?"
"what happens if i need to go to the bathroom and i cant say it?"
"what if i try to speak portuguese and they just laugh at me?"
etc..

my mother took me to school, to sign more papers and put me in a class. I would be a "second year" basically a jr in high school.

I am really nervous. Like reallly reallly nervous.
I have never been the "new kid" so i had no idea what to expect. They find a classroom for me, making sure someone there could speak English (thankyou!) out comes a girl with spider-long eye lashes, Luana, "Hi! How are you?! (kiss, kiss, kiss)" nerves are slowly fading..

Luana takes me into the classroom where the class is having chemistry, around 35 kids. everyone, i mean everyone, is yelling, screaming, talking, whistling, laughing, all trying to get my attention. i hear, "BOM DIA!" and i yell it back.
(gasp)
everyone is shocked that i could speak some portuguese. surprise! hah..thats like all i can say. ..teasing.

i sit next to Luana while the chemistry teacher finishes his lesson, or at least tries to. no one is paying attention. everyone is staring at me, getting their binoculars out, and definatly not being shy.

after class, everyone, i mean everyone in the class, comes up to me and introduces themselves.
"Hi Ariana" kiss kiss kiss
"My name is ..." kiss kiss kiss
"How are you?" kiss kiss kiss
i am literally pressed up against the wall because they are all so close.

the rest of the day is the same. kisses and hugs, introductions and names that i cant remember. sooooooooooooooooooooooooo many people.

i have no idea why i was so nervous. knowing the brasilian culture, i should have known that they would welcome me with warm smiles and embracing hugs.

more about the school: we stay with the same kids, in the same classroom all day. only the teacher moves between the classes. (i think that is a good thing here cause these kids are way to crazy to have more responsiblity)
I have to wear a uniform, unflattering ugly green and white uniform. eww
school day is 715 (way way too early) until 12:15
i have a bus ride of about half and hr where my bus driver is crazy, like everyone else hah

let's just say i am enjoyine being the new kid, the american :D