Monday, August 23, 2010

começo novo

I`M HERE! I`M HERE! I`M HERE!

ahh so so much to tell, so i must start at the beginning.

Before i left, i felt strangely calm, so relaxed (very unusual for my nervous-self) i said goodbye to my family with just a few tears (i held back many) when i got on my first flight in pittsburgh to DC, i vividly remember rounding the corner to take off and i saw a huge empty stretch of land. i thought to myself, i am rounding a corner in my new life, that is completely blank; it´s up to me to do whatever i wish with that stretch of land, make it ``colorful``

at DC, as soon as i got off the plane, three other rotary exchanges, yell at me (they recoginze my blazer full of pins) and we eat dinner and talk a lot of our homes and future homes in brasil. over time, we found two other girls, making our small little family six. our plane was delayed two hours, so what do we do? explore DC aeroporto and laugh and giggle with one another. unfortunatley, we were not going to live by each other in brasil but exchanged business cards, very professional ;D

On my flight down to saó paulo, i sat next to a man who lived there and i had my first conversation with the ``famous brasilain welcome and friendly behavior.`` when he would laugh at my awful portuguese (because it is very awful) his face would get very small, such a kind face. he directed me and helped me in customs and imigiraton (which was very easy)
i will never forget how helpful he was to me.

because our flight was delayed in DC, i arrived two hours later in saó paulo, meaning i had little over an hour to get my bags, check in my bags, find my gate and get on my plane. all in a different country with a different language i know very little. i met another brasilian who was going on my flight and she helped me through EVERYTHING. she took me under her wing and help me communicate through the airport.
all the words that i studied before i left (which was not many) the ones i needed, i didnt know. like excuse me, because with all my bags, 4bags, i kept running over people´s toes and i felt awful so i would just mumble excuse me. haha

somehow, someway, i made my flight and i was on my way to BH where i would finally (FINALLY) met my famíla. they stood with a sign saying SEJA BEM VINDA ARIANA (welcome ariana) and took my picture. ahh, words cannot express how much i love them and how affection they are to me.

i will contiune with my first brasilain weekend later (with constants of festa festa festa ;D)