Monday, November 29, 2010

Dia de Ação de Graças

Thanksgiving Day
While you all were snuggled up near the televisions watching footballl and eating as much foood that was humanly possible, i was laying by the pooool, reading a good book, preparing for my own Thanksgiving Feast, here in Brasil.

my family was reallllllllly excited for the dinner that i had planned for them. Since the day I moved in, they already were anticapating, a month beforeheand, the meal that is All-American, something they only seee on movies. Because i have made this day out to be one of the best days of the year on the American calandor, they were expecting ALOT. please remember that i'm just a girl with eightteen years who has never cooked a meal for 14 people.

my feast consisted of:
Turkey (peru)
Sweet Potatoes (batata duce)
Stuffing (doesnt exist in português)
Apple Pie (torta de maçã)
Pumpkin Pie (torta de abóbora)
what a challenge it was to find all these ingredients

I made the pies the night before and i have to admitt, for someone who has never made a pie before, they turned out prettty dang good. it was nothing in comparison of Grandmas or the pies we buy from the church, but hey.. Brasilerios have never tasted the sweeetnesss of Grandmas pies so i was in luck ;D
the only problem was with the pumpkin pie. they dont have a can of pumkin like we have at home where you can just buy at Wal*Mart. therefore my momma and i made a replacement: a real pumkpin. we bought a pumkin from the supermarket (pumkpin is commonly eatten here) boiled it down and got alll the gooodness out of it. Let me telll you, it was wayyy better than the can; i will never use a can of pumkin again.

I cooked the stufffing the morning of and it definatly didnt have any "curb appeal" it did not look prettty at alll but it was good! i got the recipe offline and i was proud, and surprised, of myself once again.

The whole family gathered that night to give thanks to our God for alll our blesssings and to taste Ariana's creations. I said a prayer before, in English, and then said, "Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Now let's eat!"
It was a beauitful evening full of laughter and wine and friendship and way to much fooood, ofcourse. I looked around at everything and just had to smile: I'm having Thanksgiving, an American holiday, with Brasilerios.

They HAD to include rice on the meal of fooood. I was a litttle bit appauled with that fact; never have i heard of people eating rice on Thanksgiving. But when i looked at everyones plate, EVERYONE had a cupfull of rice. And when i said this to my brother, he was like, "Its Brasil Baby." só no Brasil..

I skyped with my family the day of Thanksgiving and afterward I got a litttle sad, thinking, "man, i wish i was there eating Grandma's cranberry sauce or seeing Mick and Chris from London, or gettting attacked by Aunt Monica's dog."
But i wasnt there. I was here, in Brasil. Excatly where I am suppose to be..